All you need to know about the College World Series 2023
June 1, 2023
The College World Series (CWS), the culminating event of the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship, determines the national champion of American college baseball. Held annually in Omaha, Nebraska, the CWS sees eight teams—winners of the regional and super regional tournaments—vie for the coveted title.
In this article, we reply to some of the most frequently asked questions about the CWS.
The Complete FAQ to the College World Series in 2023
How many teams go to College World Series?
The College World Series (CWS) is the culmination of the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship which determines the national champion of American college baseball. The tournament format features 64 teams in the first round, organized into 16 regionals of four teams each.
However, in terms of teams reaching the actual "College World Series" event in Omaha, Nebraska, there are only 8 teams. The 64 teams play double-elimination tournaments in their respective regionals, followed by a best-of-three super regional to determine these 8 teams. Once at the CWS, the 8 teams are split into two double-elimination brackets, with the winners of each facing off in a best-of-three finals to decide the national champion.
Regionals, Super Regionals and the CWS
The NCAA Division I Baseball Championship is a double-elimination tournament played by 64 teams across the United States.
Here's how the structure of the 2023 NCAA Baseball Tournament would likely look, based on the structure of past tournaments:
1. Regionals (64 teams) The tournament begins with 16 regional competitions, each featuring four teams. These 16 regions are hosted by the top 16 seeds, meaning the games are played at their home stadiums. Each regional team is seeded from one to four, and they compete in a double-elimination tournament. The 16 winners of these regionals advance to the Super Regionals.
2. Super Regionals (16 teams) The 16 regional winners move on to the Super Regionals, which are a series of eight best-of-three matches. The team that wins two games first advances to the College World Series. The higher seed hosts the Super Regionals unless logistical issues force the games to be played at the lower seed's stadium.
3. College World Series (8 teams) The eight winners of the Super Regionals then compete in the College World Series, held in Omaha, Nebraska. These eight teams are divided into two brackets and play a double-elimination tournament, with the two bracket winners then competing in a best-of-three championship series to determine the national champion.
Note that the NCAA determines the actual bracket matchups. The top 8 national seeds, if they advance to the Super Regionals, are guaranteed to play at home. The remaining Super Regional sites are determined based on available host sites, geographic location, and avoiding matchups between conference opponents if possible.
What team has been to the most College World Series?
Ole Miss is the reigning champion but some teams historically have been more successful in terms of CWS victories and most appearances.
Most College World Series Appearances
- University of Southern California (USC) - 21 appearances
- University of Texas at Austin - 37 appearances
- Arizona State University - 22 appearances
- Florida State University - 23 appearances
- University of Miami (Florida) - 25 appearances
Most CWS victories
- University of Southern California (USC) - 12 championships
- University of Texas at Austin - 6 championships
- Arizona State University - 5 championships
- Louisiana State University (LSU) - 6 championships
- University of Miami (Florida) - 4 championships
What team has been to the most College World Series?
The longest winning streak in the College World Series is held by the University of Southern California (USC). USC won five consecutive titles from 1970 to 1974 under the coaching of Rod Dedeaux, which is also the record for most consecutive championships.
What sportsbooks are the best for College World Series Betting?
Like almost anything, there is a difference in taste and liking, but if you ask us, we recommend the following sportsbooks for a few simple reasons. They offer….
- the best new customer offers available
- the best odds on CWS betting
- the best range of baseball betting markets
|🎁 DraftKings||Bet $5 and Get $200 in Bonus Bets & $150 No Sweat Bet||SQORE|
|🎁 FanDuel||Bet $5 Get $200 in Bonus Bets + $100 off NFL Sunday Ticket||NONE NEEDED - Use link|
|🎁 Bet365||Bet $1 and Get $365 in Bet Credits||SQORE200|
|🎁 BetMGM||Bet $10 and Get $200 in Bonus Bets||SQORE200|
|🎁 Caesars||$1,000 First Bet on Caesars||SQORE1000|
|🎁 BetRivers||2nd chance bet up to $500||SPORTS|
|🎁 PointsBet||$1000 Bonus - 10 x $100 Second Chance Bets||10X100|
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER CO, DC, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MS, NJ, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
Call 877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369) (NY), Call 1-800-327-5050 (MA), 21+ to wager. Please Gamble Responsibly. Call 1-800-NEXT-STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (KS, NV), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA), 1-800-270-7117 for confidential help (MI).
Where can I find College World Series betting picks?
At Sqore, we provide free NCAA baseball betting picks. Make sure you check back regurlarly for new and fresh CWS picks and predictions.
CWS Winner Odds 2023?
These odds will change over time, but the current top 10 winner odds at DraftKings Sportsbook on June 1st 2023 are: